Friday, May 22, 2009

And The Fridays Have It!

I chose to sit down and eat my lunch out on the college oval today, on my usual bench, and under my usual shade tree. By happenstance there was a dance class that was having its session outside since the weather was nice. After watching them hop and twirl around for 5 minutes I made up my mind that I absolutely had to sketch them.

'An artist without a sketchpad is a sorry sight indeed', I thought to myself as I flipped through my math notebook. With a clean sheet of college rule and mechanical pencil, I knocked out some rudimentary sketches of these dancers in motion. Their deliberate weight-shifting and movement was something that has always interested me, and here was as good an opportunity as any.

I talked to the dance instructor afterward to see if I could sit in on future classes to get a more dedicated drawing time in, and she was happy to assist. Maybe I'll be a medical anatomy illustrator, something that would combine art with biology and medicine.

Anyway, have a good Memorial Day weekend!

No comments: