Thursday, September 3, 2009

What a Horrible Night...

It's my little bro-in-law's birthday tomorrow, and I thought it would be cool to make him a painting. The theme is "What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse," which if you recognize the reference give yourself a cookie. I heard him repeat the above phrase the other night while we were both standing in the kitchen and I had a moment of getting clubbing gently in the face with the nostalgic reference from the beloved childhood video game, Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest.

My brother-in-law apparently did not understand the relevance of the phrase as I had, and a line of questioning revealed that it's the name of a song by a band called The Black Dahlia Murder. Weird how these nods to our childhood influences are digested by the next generation, who may not even catch the reference. But it still enters into their vocabulary all the same, and is assigned new meaning.

This cryptic easter egg solidified something between us, and I decided that it'd make a cool painting theme. This morning I went to work, dragging all the paint and brushes that survived the move onto the back porch. I'm not sure I've painted outside before, but I am impressed by the level of shade and comfort afforded by my wife's family's backyard. (may have to continue the painting trend out there)

3 comments:

Mrs. B said...

Man, I feel like I've totally lost track of what is going on in Orion's world? How is he feeling, what is he working on, how does it feel live in a quasi-garage? All very important questions that must be answered! I demand answers!

Eater of Small Things said...

Bah! Alright, alright!

Mrs. B said...

I'm still waiting!!!!