Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Carving Out An Existence


So you may be wondering where I've been these past few weeks. Honestly, I've been home most of the time, but much of my energy has been spent burrowing new pathways through this proverbial molehill in order to carry on my existence. Here's a list of favorite places that I've colonized, in no particular order:

Studio Corner- All the raw materials, tools, and works-in-progress that had once been scattered throughout our old apartment have been squeezed into a corner of our bedroom. While the prospect of 'down-sizing' was initially a horrid and dire thought, this new operation is pretty slick in that it forces me to clean up (or finish) the current project before I can take off on some new tangent. That's good for everybody.

The Backyard - My secret grotto; a place I love to work on things for the privacy and the giant trees that loom overhead. There's an electric outlet right beside the porch swing, where I've already spent many hours with my hot glue gun.

The Park - I need to post some photos of this place. It's what I'd consider to be Reynoldsburg's best-kept secret: acres and acres of empty parkland that seems to go forever. On my forays into this grassy plain behind the house, the most surprising thing is the lack of people. I'm not sure where else you could go in Central Ohio and find yourself so utterly apart from other human beings. It's wonderful. I did see a man walking a dog once, but they were mere specks in the distance that quickly faded into the horizon. Despite the 'forgotten' nature of this park, someone keeps all that grass mowed on a weekly basis; green blades shorn with the care you'd find on a golf course. I hope it stays this way for a long time.

So getting to today's photos, this is my first ever attempt at sculpting a model from scratch, and then casting it. What you see in both pictures is merely a copy of the original. This prospect of creating my own unique sculptures and having the ability to produce them enmass is a singular accomplish. I'm looking forward to following it up--- the only problem is time, as autumn quarter starts tomorrow.

No comments: