Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Hypno-Hand is Raised

So today's post is about my insecurity about talking too much in class. I'm worried that I'm quickly becoming "that guy" in two of my classes, the one who raises his hand to respond to every question. In addition to that, I find myself asking questions of the teachers when I don't understand something. And then there's all the great jokes I have to tell. Basically, I think I need to work on 'holding back' in these situations.

Granted, talking worked fine in my last three Spanish classes. We were all talkers, but we also worked hard. They were classes with character, it was interesting and fun to show up.

That may be what I'm missing right now. New quarters always bug me because you have to wait for the adjustment period. Right now no one feels comfortable in class, so no one talks. I talk because I've gotten used to it. I rarely stop talking-- just ask my wife. First thing in the morning, if she gets up with me at the same time, it's a curiosity-driven monologue avalanche--- as if I was just born as a full-grown man with the ability to talk, and there's a lot of catching up to do.

As an exercise I'm thinking I should record some of my vocalizations and play them back later on, if anything just to try and scare myself into keeping quiet some of the time.

2 comments:

Momma Bear said...

Oh...you're that guy in class aye?? I almost threw my shoe at you...:P Just Kidding. But yeah I agree the beginnin of the quarter...bah!

Eater of Small Things said...

It looks like it may be going better this week. Our teacher made us play charades in class today and it helped break the ice. No thrown shoes to worry about yet. :)