Wednesday, September 23, 2009

En El Recinto

I drove to school this morning before sunrise. I'm trying to wrap my head around how this will be a daily phenomenon in the weeks to come: my car flitting down an empty street to merge with the sea of wet metal that is the morning commute; casting desperate glances to the eastern horizon for any sign that the sun will rise.

Light did come, in a manner of speaking, painting everything in different shades of gray. It's 9:45 now, and it's feasible that the sun is out there somewhere because I don't need a lantern to see where I'm walking. But today is notably overcast.

Yes, a whole paragraph to tell you in the most colorful way that it's cloudy.

Class details: Math 150 is in a building called 209 W. 18th ave. I'm guessing they couldn't agree on a name for the building, because it's surrounded by a campus where everything is named after this dean or that provost. The auditorium was stifling hot, and surprisingly packed as early as 30 minutes before the class actually started. (first day jitters?) But they've really got us packed in there. There is no room for claustrophobia in this place, though deodorant is appreciated.

Learning stinks.

2 comments:

Momma Bear said...

i start class today. i love your vivid description of cloudy.

Eater of Small Things said...

Cool, I wish you luck and plenty of sunshine!