Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Art Folk of Columbus

In an e-mail I was writing today, I felt that I was able to summarize my feelings about the art culture in our fair city in a couple of sentences. Seems pretty spot-on to me. We have the Agora events bi-annually, and while said exhibition serves to get all the artist cliques together in once place, they all end up staring at each other across the empty dance floor.

Which is a metaphor of course, I'm not sure I've seen real dancing at Agora. Though some definitive head-bobbing occurs in and around the areas where the live bands play.

To be fair though, I've been systematically skipping Agora when it rolls around in the spring, only participating in the fall event. For all I know, springtime could be the real Agora. The place where the junctionview artists talk to people other than their friends and parents, and everyone stops worrying about looking cool and relevent.

Gah, now I've reminded myself of why I despise my own kind.

*crawls under the porch*

2 comments:

Momma Bear said...

Do you know Laura Alexander?

Eater of Small Things said...

I've heard the name, but can't recall anything else about her. Local?