Saturday, June 6, 2009

Lifeless Ordinary

Disclaimer: Cleaning the studio usually precedes starting a new project, so this is more of a stream of consciousness post. The idea was just leave the blog open over the span of the evening in order to keep coming back to record different things.

I begin by drilling three screws into the wall in no particular order. The spacing is not premeditated.

Take a drink and get started.

The drill is very loud, but I've already started. Sheepish, I finish driving it in, even while picturing our neighbors lying in bed on the other side of the wall. I switch out the drill and push the last two screws into the wall with a screwdriver. It's quieter, but my arms ache afterward.

What next?

Now I'm just fuddling around, hanging different objects from the points. Waiting to see how long I can go before breaking out the glue gun, forcing myself to discover new methods. I use rubber bands, wire, and finally, scotch tape....

...And:

Screw this, I'm getting the glue gun.

One rule of thumb I use is that load-bearing supports get put together with screws and liquid nails. Currently, now this thing is hanging by old rubber bands. Unfortunately the wife has taken the camera with her on the road trip, so you'll just have to use your imagination.

No comments: