Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Under the Tree

These past couple weeks have been eventful in that I've renewed work on my Sylvaneth army for Warhammer: Age of Sigmar. Also managed to play a big game with 3 vs 4 last weekend at the local game shop. It was fun. The Sylvaneth are a straightforward faction with a large degree of synergy at their core.

Here's a pic of our setup for that game. Despite the big table and various factions involved it was a fast, crazy game. I always wanted to like prior editions of Warhammer, but they were often too convoluted for me to keep up with.


The scenario required two of our four opponents to deploy their forces on the ziggurat in the middle of the board. My team's goal was to prevent these opponents from escaping off the short board edges, while help from both sides trickled in from various points.


Durthu, the treelord, teleported out of those trees on  the ridge and took out the enemy standard bearer hiding up there. We had a good laugh about it.


Speaking of treelords, here's work on my treelord ancient. Construction was similar to Durthu, but the finished ancient is a very different-looking model.


My only difficulty with this kit is that attaching the talons to the left hand was fiddly, and the fingers project up and outward, so I keep snagging them on things.


I put a bit of extra time into the base, trying to make it intricate, but subtle. The cobblestones are sheet styrene whose edges I roughed up with an exacto-knife. Then I added some roots and vines pushing out from under some of those.

Next, I applied some spackle with a bit of black acrylic paint mixed in. The paint dyes the spackle and is useful for gauging the level of moisture as it is applied to the base. I find I can push it around with a paintbrush and simulate gnarled roots.


The final step before priming is to apply pvc glue and gravel to fill bald spots on the base.

Thanks for looking.

No comments: