Monday, April 18, 2016

Wistful Oxides and the Rust Within

Work has begun on the base colors. I mixed each of the colors 1:1 with Vallejo matte medium since I'm used to these particular colors gumming up pretty quick. 

After some testing I've decided to go with a red oxide for the Legio Mortis red (Vallejo cavalry brown). 
More intense shades of red appear be too jarring. I experimented with both warmer (wazdakka red) and cooler (khorne red) layers over the red oxide, but was dissatisfied with the results.  


The metallic base coat is Leadbelcher. Once it gets smoothed out, I'll finish up with a layer of Ironbreaker. 


While researching, I found some examples of red and black stripes on some of the Legio Mortis armor panels. It looked interesting so I’ve tried to replicate the effect. The stripes need a bit more work, but I like it so far.



I’ve started thinking of the riveted panels as field repairs. They help make the transition between the basic titan details you would expect to see, and the full-on chaos corruption happening in other parts of the model.

I used Vallejo German Field Grey as a base for the panels. It’s a nice neutral color with a hint of green. The rivets have yet to be painted, so that’s why those are black.


I used Liquitex Rich Bronze as a base for the trim and some of the decorative bits. That may see some brighter gold highlights, and some dark wash concoction.

I found the old Emperor Titan datasheet today. It's a bit outdated, but a good reference all the same. The carapace weapon options all say "See Reaver & Warlord datasheet for stats." The really great bit is that I found out the name of the weapon I've been working on for the past few weeks. It's the Vengeance Cannon! Can't believe I forgot that...


No comments: