Thursday, April 28, 2016

Aperture Rapture

Plasma Annihilator. An awkward sort of gun. There are a few design details shared by most imperium plasma weapons. There's the suspiciously bulbous front bit, and then some ribbed coils behind that. Anyone familiar enough with the warhammer 40k universe can see that and recognize what type of gun it is. It's futuristic. It's sciency. Sometimes it overheats and explodes. What's not to love? 
This update involves important decisions, fiddly work, and some whining because I cut my finger.


Important Decision: I want the sciency coils, whatever they're called. The blue electric box that makes up the mid-section of the gun is disrupting the vibe. It's too boxy. Can't put coils there. However, I soon discover I never sealed the pvc pipe connection threads. What luck! With a half-twist, the gun rotates upside-down. Next I use a hacksaw on the expanding foam gap-filler to cut a horizontal plane.


I glued a deodorant stick onto this new flat area. That gives me the slope I need for the coils. I should have been excited about the progress at this point, but gluing and positioning each coil was fiddly. Near the end of this part I slipped up and cut a finger with the cutters. Despite that setback, I soon reached a good stopping point for pictures and an update. 


I may need to add more plasma coils.


I'm not sure if this is art with a capital A, but it feels important to me with a capital I.

No comments: