Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Cafe Con Leche

Thanks for the comments from yesterday, guys. I started to reply there and quickly realized that it might as well be today's post. Anyway, here goes:

I agree with you both.

I've been thinking about it in terms of throwing and catching a baseball. Your brain is capable of making near-instant calculations for a throwing/catching solution, and then your body acts. Based on the subconscious velocity/distance math, it's a given that the ball will be launched in the correct direction with the appropriate amount of force*

I don't think much really changes if you stand there at length, thinking about "how" you'll throw the ball. Just toss it!

So yeah, I'd like to apply the same logic to aspects of living.

*That is if you've familiar with the baseball, surrounding environment, gravity, wind, ect. the object should still go in the right direction.


Anyway, I finished another Spanish exam this morning. It was a rough one, but I studied, so curious to see what the grade will be on that one.

After class I had nowhere in particular to be, so I walked with Mike and Olin around campus for a bit. I talked about the shape of my life these past few years, the convenience of attending/teaching in art school , and the paradigm shift that brought me back to these halls of learning.

It felt good to talk about art school. I remember everyone there always pointing to New York City and crying out, "This is where all the real important stuff is happening in the art world! How can you be on the cutting edge of culture if you're not there? What?-- You don't even make regular pilgrimages to the Mecca of Art to prostrate yourself before all that is relevant and witty? Bah! Begone, foul Ohioan peasant!"

If you haven't guessed, I'm happy to be away from that. Very happy. Even as we walked by Hopkins, where I could look up to the 4th floor and see the windows of my old studio, I knew I've made the right decision.

I still see myself as an artist. But as far as the Art World (captial "A", capital "W") is concerned, I am living off the grid with friends and family in a life that is much more challenging and rewarding. We'll just have to see where the art goes from here. We're invested in a lot of passionate, creative people.

No comments: