Monday, April 14, 2008

The Jungles of Central Ohio


With gas prices being what they are, I've taken to walking everywhere. It's good exercise, but there is a drawback. Jungles have grown up all over the city, overtaking the areas where people no longer bother to live outside their houses. To make the reality more grim, these places now teem with dangerous creatures that has been mutated by the city's pollution. Indeed, Columbus is being slowly reabsorbed into the Wild.

Me and my cat, Cocoa, battled mutant crocodiles on the way to the grocery store last night. It was rough-going most of the way, but I was happy when we finally emerged from the deathswamps unscathed, albeit covered in ichor and leeches.

At the store, I bought some M&M's for the cat. She has this trick where she balances them on her nose one at a time and then eats them as soon as you look away. For myself, I bought some superglue, because I ran out of it last night while building a model tank.

After finding our way home again, we lean our croc-bashing clubs against the door and spend a few minutes picking the leeches off of each other. The rest of the evening is spent relaxing on the porch with my wife, listening to the sounds of the jungle.

No comments: