Thursday, October 1, 2009

Follow All Arrows

I've made some really cool artiststic breakthroughs in the past four weeks. Okay, so maybe just one, but last night found me pretty excited. I think I already mentioned it last week, but I've figured out how to mass-produce the things I sculpt via rubber molds. Actually, the two techniques had been laying in my inventory for the better part of a year, I just hadn't gotten around to uniting the concepts until now.

I'm confident that I can finally fill the little diorama worlds I've been building for the past 8 years. People are an integral part of the scenes I make. Whenever I build something 3-dimensional, it's always with the idea that something could inhabit that space, walk around in it.

I've tried being literal in the past, sticking models in these dioramas, but their presence was always a singularity; something that detracted from the environment. It didn't work. I don't think it ever has with my stuff. It makes the work pensive, and lonely. Which sucks-- art tends to skew human qualities, even as it attempts to capture what's going on.

I want to present humanity to you in the way I see it. And finally there is a solution. This ability to easily produce a crowd of little model people inhabiting a space-- that is something completely different for me. I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: