Monday, October 5, 2009

Waiting in Line for Coffee

I find myself ever aware when I am lured into the Starbucks drive-through that I'm setting myself up to wait 10 minutes for coffee. Good coffee, albeit pricey in both time to acquire and actual greenbacks. Today though, I scope out my real favorite coffee-shop haven: the one in Hagerty Hall. I love their flavored coffee, and a token in my wallet is redeemable for a free one today. Any size I want. Yeah.

Diversions into caffeine addiction aside, I took my first Spanish 104 exam a few minutes ago and need to debrief at someone before the synapses die down.

I had a hunch to avoid studying for this test over the weekend, and it turns out I was justified in goofing off. The material was pretty easy... possibly the easiest Spanish exam I've ever taken. Though there seems to be some dark shadow permeating this class-- possibly residual nightmares from the Summer of Diez Credito Hueres del Classes Espanol-- a dark time that will haunt this blog for decades. But this time is different. No more marathon weeks of four cram days followed by a exam on the 5th. This was Spanish in digestible morsels. I might actually learn to like speaking Spanish again.

And the bad: we ran out of time. All of us. I don't think there was a single person who actually finished the entire exam. It was page after page of essay-reading, where we had to fill-in-the-blanks in a popular test-taking strategy the military refers to as Seek & Destroy. Unfortunately, this is a slow-going process whenever translation is concerned. Our instructor actually apologized to us and said he's going over to his supervisor to address the issue. Hopefully they'll see mercy on us and toss some extra points back this way.

Have a good Monday.

2 comments:

Momma Bear said...

*bucks coffee. love it. but on the way to school...
me: tall anniversary blend please.
barista: uh we stop brewing that at...
me: wtf?? I don't like pike place..it sucks ass seriously. And I have $1.50 not enough for an americano.
barista: uh uh uhhhh
me: I'm going to cup of joe.

2 minutes later-seriously 2 minutes later. E north broadway *bucks to Tulane Cup of joe.

me: drinking highlander grog on the way to school in super rainy and chilly weather. And it was tastey. All for $1.50 and i believe it was a medium.

Eater of Small Things said...

Ah yes, good ole Cup O Joe, how I love thee.

When we lived in Grandview, there were five different Starbucks locations within a mile radius of our home. (though two of those were mere kiosks perched within other stores)

I know people who would call that 'spamming.'