Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Dark Paths and Something Bright

Today I wield procrastination like an aluminum baseball bat. And I swing wild, not really aiming-- the real aim is to exhaust myself before I accomplish anything of import. The bat feels good in my grip.

Inevitable that more marching orders are coming down the pipe, regardless of how much I fight. School is coming, one way or another, in a week. Thank God. Thank God for new purpose and a plan that points somewhere.

Like bouts of microsleep, my mind will glaze over momentarily throughout the day with the prospect that I have failed in some way, that my proposed career as an artist has died without getting started. My eye twitches in spasmatic protest, and the brooding evaporates.

In fact I am pleased with the course of my life. The relationships with my friends and family have changed, matured with a deepening bond as we all get older and a bit wiser. We helped our friends move over the weekend and I can honestly say the pleasure was all mine. Here's what the Bible has to say about friends:

Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandments there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. -Romans 13:8-10

As a final thought, note the distinction between "love your neighbor" and "love your friend." Friends are natural and easy to love. Example dialogue between lifelong friends: "What's that? Why sure you can borrow my Ren & Stimpy DVD's, do you mind if I help myself to another cookie?" "Why certainly old chum! Go right ahead!" ---The real task before us is to love our neighbors, which is a way to say every other person. That's much more challenging; I've had to cancel all my complicated revenge schemes with this newfound faith.

Second final thought: That love-your-neighbor-as-yourself commandment doesn't say anything about trying to convert new proselytes every time you find yourself in a theological discussion with someone who has a different belief system. Instead, we should give each person the due respect and honor they deserve, and let them make up their own mind. By keeping God's commandments, your example makes following Jesus an attractive option, but let people choose for themselves. Religion is a lot like the balance between spouses in a marriage: unnecessary pressure creates friction and resentment, but mutual respect for one another's individuality and constant support make for a relationship that can only grow better with time.

OMG, I just blogged on religion. :O
Religious Blog Statistics
Capitalized God: 3
Angel Sightings: 2
Colons used: 7

No comments: