Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Swim


I've been swimming on a regular basis at the YMCA since family and friends pitched in together to get me a membership for my birthday. It could well be my favorite thing in the entire world. Something about swimming makes me complete. You put me in the water, and suddenly I get it. Life makes sense.

I don't swim for the exercise. Well, that's not entirely true, but it's part of it. Although I can't help but notice some new defininition in my arms and shoulders, and experiencing the secret human glee that comes with getting into shape and seeing improvement.

But the real reason I don the swimming trunks and take the plunge every morning is the simple harmony involved. Mind, body, and soul unite for one purpose: locomotion in a suspension. The great secret is that real swimming is almost effortless. This isn't work. It's pulling oneself along in a weightless universe. Simple motion and peace. I recommend it to anyone. Can't swim? Learn to swim. Do yourself that favor. It's really pretty great.

No comments: