Sunday, February 14, 2010

Light-Blind

"Oh, you've got to be kidding me."

"Now what?"

I passed some birds on the way home today. They were just sitting, chilling in the middle of the road, happily pecking away at the ground. Only something was strange about the situation, almost surreal, in that they didn't even attempt to get out of the way when I drove by, didn't even flinch as my car passed within a couple feet from their little beaks. And I'm no bird expert, but these weren't your lazy carrion-eater-type-birds that wait until the very last instant to fly away, these were the "other" kind. The kind of birds that flee from everything on a good day. So something was wrong with these birds. Their little brains weren't getting the all-so-important message that they were gambling their lives away.

And whatever bet was going on between them, I later found that the road-birds were on the losing end. I drove by again to find them still sitting in the road, just chillin'. One or two of them had been destroyed by the inevitable passing of a vehicle, their fellows oblivious to the doom. All the while I'm thinking, "Dumb birds. Get up and hop twenty inches. Get off the road! For the love of God, save yourselves! Do something!"

Moral of the story pending...

1 comment:

Mrs. B said...

This picture reminds me of your stories about feeling like you were driving your car under water, and you wishing that you actually could. I was telling someone about that the other day..funny to see you draw it :)