Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hollow Hallowed Halls

"Are you feeling okay?" [concern]

".... Yes." [pause] "I'm just not sleeping well these days."

"Ah, you should try a fan. Or a white noise machine. That might help."

".... Sounds like a good idea." [pause, caught halfway in and out of the bathroom door. Search for something else to add, rub a self-conscious hand through a mess of hair, close the door]

---------------

Let's go back and rewrite history a bit. Take out a few things I said here and there. Eliminate a few defining situations. Mark a few objects for removal. How would it affect the outcome? Are we wired to our decision-making by synaptic connections alone, or is there some greater driving destiny that hounds us?

I like the latter. Makes me feel important; all warm and fuzzy inside. Gives me a proverbial label-maker to click out excuses for myself, something to sticky all over my forehead, to look in the bathroom mirror and say, "Oh! Of course that explains it all!"

My destiny is clear: I'm supposed to be a pirate captain. Or maybe a shampoo baron.

Hygienic Barbarian Raider?

No comments: