Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Cars That Ate Paris

cars that ate parisI stumbled across a reference to this movie today. Am I hallucinating, or is this real? The Internet Movie Database tells me I'm not hallucinating. But even so, I stand agape.

After some in-depth research, which constitutes typing the movie's name into a Youtube search, I was rewarded with this gem, a whopping three and a half minute movie trailer that showcases some folks dressed as the Amish talking quietly in what appears to be a town meeting, interspersed with scenes of cars driving. Occasionally some of the cars are shown falling off of cliffs in a mountainous region.

I've been to Paris. The one in France. Without watching the movie, I can tell you it was not filmed there. I'm guessing it's Paris, New Wales, if one exists.

So yeah, I know it takes a big man to make fun of a movie that was made in 1974. Really I am just shocked I've never watched this. It looks delightfully terrible.

Mainly it's the reviews that have gotten me so choked up. From the trailer, wait and watch for these:

  • -Nation Review, "Run, don't walk, to this remarkable film."
  • -The Sun (Sydney), "An exciting film."
  • -The Sun, "A film to be proud of."
  • -The Australian, "A film that grows in your head for days afterward."

Yes, you've read correctly. The Sun is used as a reference twice (sorry, Sydney). A film to be proud of? And at this point I think it's safe to assume that The Australian is not in fact a publication at all, but more than likely An Australian who saw the movie.

I'm going to have to see this before I say anymore. Movie night anyone?

No comments: