Saturday, February 23, 2008

Entrenchment, part 1

Day Four of my self-imposed vacation away from normality sees me at home with some kind of stomach bug. Since my plans for the day are canceled, I thought I'd take the time to update the look of the blog. I added a sidebar with some extra info. It's bare-bones at the moment, but I plan to add more links in the future.

entrenchment01 

I've started a new project, and as you can see, it's another diorama piece. It's a series of two-inch deep trenches on a piece of insulation foam. I've spent a lot of time researching tabletop war-games in the past couple of years, mainly by adopting the hobby as my own and spending many an evening at The Guard Tower, a local gaming store.

This new piece,"Entrenchment" draws heavy inspiration from the terrain tables on which we play our miniatures games. I'm waiting to decide the next step to take with it. I have need of an adhesive that bonds well to foam.

The Philosophy: My current goal for this work, as well as the Sludgetown project, is to see what types of conversations can happen between the tabletop gaming hobby and the art world. At present, I am finding it difficult to integrate these worlds due to the fact that tabletop games involve a complicated system of rules and accurate measurements, while art threatens to dash that system against the rocks at every turn. It is not my wish to cause my good friends in the gaming hobby a discourtesy by destroying their system. Rather, I want to make something that will celebrate the beauty I see in this complex hobby. To do this to the best of my ability, however, I must rely on my own systems, comprising rules and measurements that I alone will make.

This is a terrain table you can find at the Guard Tower. I don't know who made it. I think it is very, very beautiful. I want to make something that can reach out, talk to this piece, and acknowledge its presence.

AI-01

     

Lastly, I wanted to share a couple more work-in-progress pictures from "Entrenchment." More to come. Thanks for looking.

entrenchment02 entrenchment03

No comments: