Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sludgetown

"Sludgetown" is the working title for this current cityscape project where I'm experimenting with the resin-pouring process. I felt the name was appropriate after the resin decided to go off and do its own thing (reacting with the insulation foam and all that). However, I'm quite happy with the results.

The resin now has the look of a chemical froth bubbling away in the canal. I like it like this, even though I was originally planning for a darker color and translucent texture. That's part of what keeps me coming back to these projects. I enjoy those unexpected outcomes, variables which spark new ideas, leading on to even more projects and so on.

I've wanted to work with resin for years, but have always been a bit nervous about it because of some safety issues. Artists are typically surrounded by all sorts of caustic, hazardous materials in their daily studio-practice, some of which can be quite detremental to a person's health in the short and long-term. I admit to going through alternating phases of skittishness and boldness in relation to the materials I use and their effects on my health. I find myself checking the MSDS info on everything as of late, which is either paranoia or a really smart thing to do.

I'm probably just paranoid.











Other noteworthies from today:

- I ate three hotdogs on the way to church.

- We've almost reached the end of Metal Gear Solid 3 again. It gets better every time through. Final boss fight scheduled for tomorrow, weather pending.

- Pulling a shirt over my head, I managed to clip the ceiling fan with my hand. Serves me right for taking off my lucky shirt. Was painful.

2 comments:

Mrs. B said...

I like chicken curry :) and sludge.

Eater of Small Things said...

Gah! It's the wife! :O