Saturday, May 4, 2013

Normalizer

 After a long walking discussion it was decided to bring back this blog. I need to start writing again. I need an outlet. Something cathartic. So. Here we are, unapologetically, boldly, back-to-normal. But I'm going to be rusty for a while until I get the hang of this. Or permanently rusty. Something. 

I'm not political really. And certainly not up on Current Events. Sometimes I have a certain level of ignorant pride in not watching TV or reading the newspaper. So I asked E what was going on in the world these days. 







"Syria," she remarked.

"Oh yeah. They're fighting still? Wars these days seem to burn themselves out in a week or turn into a long occupation, like Afghanistan, right?"

"I think this one's different. They are two different groups of Muslims in this civil war, and it's been going on for over a year now."

"Wow."

"Yeah, a lot of people are dying."

The conversation was interrupted by a prolonged contraction. She goes quiet and closes her eyes. Never stops walking, but just pulls inward for a minute or so. I dutifully helplessly push the stroller alongside her in the interim. Remark on the perfect weather. Or marvel at the back of little A's head as she watches something with interest.

Marvel that I woke up today not feeling physically ill. Throat was a bit raw, but I didn't need to take anything but antibiotics. I've missed more days of work then I care to count. Almost perpetual illness. But. Not. Today. thank God

When the contraction subsides we walk along, trying idly to pick up some strand of the conversation. Though not up on Current Events, I have been devouring Current History, so I volunteer the following:

"You know Syria and Egypt once launched a huge two-pronged attack on Israel?"

"The Six Day War?"

"Yeah! Some of the biggest tank battles to take place with 'Cold War'-era weaponry!"

It is true that I have become semi-obsessed with war history logistics and force organization charts. I'm terrible at statistics, but for whatever reason have been drawn more and more to this type of thing. She lets me chatter on a few more minutes about Syrian tank specifications and infrared targeting systems. 

There's probably a conclusion here somewhere. Were I in a less rusty mood I'd weave all the talking points of this story together into a compelling end. And maybe that's happening now. My thoughts are adrift in a sea of burning T-55 tanks on the Golan Heights, the crunch of gravel underfoot as the stroller bounces along, and a future that is both awash in possibility and obscured from us. And the next contraction sets in and my thoughts immediately turn to my wife. 

And around and around it goes. 

  

2 comments:

Eater of Small Things said...

We are sensitive about getting our facts straight. It was in fact the Yom Kippur War, and not the Six Day War, where Syria and Egypt surprise-attacked Israel.

Mrs. B said...

I would also like to say that my knowledge of the Syrian Civil War is very scant, and mostly related to refugees and civilian casualties. I'd also like to note that it's disputed whether there is a secterian aspect to this (so I may have been wrong on the whole "groups of Muslims fighting each other" front, although it appears to be unclear). Much better info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_civil_war