Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Different Halves

I was in familiar territory today, taking care of some business on campus. It was different this time, deserted, between quarters, and far too cold and biting for anyone to be out except on urgent business, though I did see the odd grad student puffing away on a cigarette here and there, sheltered in various alcoves.

I stopped off for a cup of coffee, but Hagerty was empty. The coffee shop was closed down, a metal cage dividing the space. I hung there for a moment considering my options, and then quietly left.

I visited the raptors last Friday. It was a little walk through the glen to their hutches and the caretaker's station; nothing like the epic hours-long trek that many of the locals had described. It's true: several people got great big googily eyes when I told them I intended to go on foot to see the birds, as if I were talking some kind of madness. "Walk? It'll take days to walk there, boy! You'll never make it!"

But not a bad walk at all. And I saw the birds, and marveled: owls, hawks, kestrels, vultures, a bald eagle, each hunkered down in their respective hutches against the cold. None are fit to be released into the wild due to their injuries, but at least they are well-fed and looked-after.

Crazy like a fox

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Next time you go visiting some raptors, let me know!

Ninjamonky said...

I'm a raptor, doin' what I can
Gonna eat everything til the appearance of man
Yo, yo, see me, I'm livin' below the soil
I'll be back but I'm comin' as oil

Eater of Small Things said...

Wow, that's so familiar. What's that from?

And I'll let you know. You guys should definitely come out one of these weekends and I'll show you around town.

Ninjamonky said...

Mrs. Doubtfire :)