Friday, May 1, 2009

Dimensional Rambler

Today's title is a play off of the Dimensional Shambler from H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, a being that walks between worlds and eats people. A web search for Dimensional Shambler reveals some pretty interesting information.

In life nothing is really constant. Things change, seemingly for the worst in today's case. My favorite college dive, Larry's, has closed down. Honestly, I hadn't been through the doors in a couple of years, but it was something familiar that I walked by every day to class. I had a lot of good memories in there. It was the 'art kids' bar, a place that secreted some kind of special aura that kept away some of the more obnoxious bar-goers.

Me and the other grad students in the Painting Dept. would all go over to Larry's to lick our wounds after those long, painful critiques. Drink ourselves into oblivion and take turns buying the rounds. I also have fond memories of losing games of pool, content to hit the cue ball as long as someone was willing to go break dollars to feed the table. Good memories, carefully retired to a shelf where I could remember them.

What broke my heart today was seeing them take down the neon "Larry's" sign this morning. I sighed in resignation when I saw the sign they were putting up in its place: The Sloppy Donkey Salon--- Surely, an idiot's bar based on that name. I fear there's going to be no genuine character left in this place. Who names these places? Why such stupid names? Is there some new handbook that dictates that you can only name new establishments based on adjective + animal + salon? We're being taken over by Madlibs.

No comments: